Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom

Growing up, July 4th was the cool holiday that just begged us to make noise, blow stuff up and stay up late legitimately. We learned in school it was a holiday celebration that we gained our freedom from oppressive English tyranny. I never gave it a second thought, really.

As a parent of twin infants, I decided it was the worst excuse to make noise, blow stuff up and stay up late legitimately. I wanted my sleep, for goodness sakes, and although the holiday was really only one day of the calendar year, you argue, I had to listen to fireworks for two weeks straight. Independence Day was my worst nightmare.

As I've grown and learned more about our history, the current state of the world's affairs and talked with service men/women, I've come to think of July 4th as a great reminder to be thankful.

An average day in my life here in the United States is an exercise of freedom and most of us take it for granted daily.

I woke up today in a warm, dry home. People in Haiti, Sudan and other parts of the world are living in temporary homes on their best day, living in poverty you can't even fathom on their worst.

I was free to join my church family Sunday for worship without fear that I may be imprisoned or killed as families are in Iran or China.

I am free to pursue education unlike women in Afghanistan denied that opportunity.  I gain a fair wage for my trade unlike those working in Honduras or selling themselves or their daughters on the streets of Bosnia to feed their other children.

My children were born 6 weeks early, spending weeks in the NICU hooked up to oxygen and medications that ensured their health and survival today. Had I been a mother in Sierra Leone where infant mortality is nearly the highest in the world, they may not have lived to take their first breath. Mothers in that country don't name their children until they are a year old. Why, you ask? Because 1 in 10 children will die before they see that milestone. They die from malnutrition and treatable diseases like measles and HIV.

I have freedom to worship, education, healthcare and more. So do you.
I woke up today giving thanks for my country's independence, sure. More than that, I give my thanks to those defending it. July 4th is like a thanksgiving of its own, if you ask me. Be thankful. Furthermore, learn about how you can help others who are denied those same freedoms and always, always take a moment to salute a soldier.

July 4th is more than fireworks. Spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment